For the puris:
6 oz semolina
½ teaspoon salt
Water to make dough
1 teaspoon sunflower oil
Sunflower oil for frying
For the Bhel:
4 oz kabuli (white) chana pre boiled
4 oz diced boiled potato
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh coriander finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 oz thin sev
2 spring green onions finely chopped
2 tablespoons green coriander chutney
2 tablespoons tamarind chutney
2 tablespoons natural yoghurt beaten
To make the puris:
1. Take the semolina and add the salt
2. Add the teaspoon of oil and make firm dough using water.
3. Divide the dough into small balls
4. Roll out puris about 3 mm thick and approx 2cm in diameter
5. Prick the surface of the puris with a fork to stop them puffing up when frying.
6. Deep fry in batches on medium heat till crisp and slightly brown
7. Drain on kitchen paper and store in air tight container for future use.
For the Bhel:
1. In a bowl add the chana, potatoes, salt, chilli powder, chopped green chillies, half the fresh chopped coriander nad half the chopped green onions and lemon juice.
2. Toss the mixture till chana and potatoes are coated with spices
3. On serving dish place 10-12 puris, top the puris with the Bhel mixture
4. Spoon on top of this beaten yoghurt, followed by the green coriander chutney and tamarind chutneys.
5. Sprinkle on top of this the remaining chopped coriander and remaining chopped green onions
6. Sprinkle on top of this the thin sev.
For chutney recipes click here: