Friday, 30 April 2010
Apple tarts-Melt in the mouth short crust pastry, sweet and tangy apple filling, with a delicate hint of cinnamon makes these individual tarts delicious to savour.
Short Crust Pastry:
4 oz plain flour
2 oz butter at room temperature
2-3 tablespoons cold water as needed to make dough .
1 teaspoon icing sugar for sprinkling.
2 braeburns apples peeled and cored.
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoon apple sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons water
1. In a mixing bowl sieve the flour and salt.
2. Gently rub the butter into the flour to resemble bread crumbs.
3. Add a little water and make into dough.
4. Place the pastry dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
5. Slice the apples thinly and place in a glass dish. Add three tablespoons water and microwave on high for 4 minutes till apple slices are tender but retaining shape.
6. To the cooked apples add the apple sauce and sugar and cinnamon and mix thoroughly. Microwave on high for 2 more minutes.
7. Remove from microwave and leave to this cool.
8. Remove chilled pastry from fridge, Place on cling film and cover with another layer of cling film. Roll out pastry to approx 5mm thick. (Cling film will stop pastry sticking and will make it easier to lift.
9. Remove top cling film and cut out 4 circles 2 inches bigger than your individual flan tins.
10. Lift off each pastry circle and gently place in loose bottom flan tins, lining bottom and sides.
11. Trim off any extra pastry that over laps the rim.
12. Prick pastry all over with fork so that it does not rise in flan tins and blind bake for 7-8 minutes in hot oven -200 degrees centigrade till pastry just begins to change colour.
13. Remove baked empty pastry shells from oven and spoon in apple filling.
14. Return to oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes till pastry is golden brown.
15. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
16. Gently remove tarts from flan cases, place on serving dish and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.
You may like:
Apple and sesame fillo parcels.
Submitting to :
Stories from an indian kitchen-Bake off event.
C.E.D.D. ~ Apples event by Raven guested hosted by simply.food.
A food fanatic with a passion for creating , cooking and sharing mouth watering recipes to tickle and tantalise your taste buds. A "homecook" without culinary school training striving to make my dishes feel complete without being complicated.