Sunday, 9 May 2010
Saffron~ cardamom ice cream- Beautifully rich and creamy ice cream with aromatic flavours of the East. Saffron and cardamom and almonds make this ice cream a perfect dessert to follow a wonderful Indian meal.
I litre milk full fat milk
8 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of saffron
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon almond slivers
For Garnish and serving:
1 teaspoon almond slivers for garnish
1 teaspoon chopped pistachio nuts for garnish
Few nankhatai (cardamom biscuits)
1. In a heavy bottom pan pour the milk and bring to boil. Add the saffron.
2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer milk gently until it reduces to half the quantity. (Patience is important, this can take up to 45 minutes to an hour)
3. Keep stirring the simmering milk at intervals to prevent it burning.
4. Once milk has reduced stir in the sugar and allow it to dissolve completely. There may be milk solids formed in the milk, stir them in, this adds creaminess to the ice cream.
5. Once sugar has dissolved add the cardamom powder and 1 tablespoon of almond slivers.
6. Pour the mixture into a Tupperware container and place in freezer. After three hours break up the ice crystals with a fork and mix the ice cream. Leave to freeze for another three hours .Repeat this procedure again. (In total three times. This step is not necessary if you use ice cream maker.)
7. To serve ice cream remove from freezer 5 minutes before serving. Scoop into serving dishes.
8. Garnish with almond slivers and pistachio nuts and serve with nankhatai –cardamom biscuits
You may like:
Priya’s tasty n easy recipes-cardamom event.
Cooking for all seasons ~ Thanda mela
My home kitchen- Celebrating mom event.
Labels: Icecream/ Sorbets/Sundae
A food fanatic with a passion for creating , cooking and sharing mouth watering recipes to tickle and tantalise your taste buds. A "homecook" without culinary school training striving to make my dishes feel complete without being complicated.