Creamy barfi with a nutty crunch from the almonds makes a wonderful sweet dish to accompany any meal.
Barfi (Milk Fudge)
480 grams / 16 oz milk powder
60 ml milk
30 ml melted ghee (clarified butter)
240 grams / 8 oz sugar
360 ml water
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
60 grams / 2oz coarsely chopped almonds
1 tablespoon almond slivers for garnishing
½ teaspoon saffron strands
½ teaspoon pink food colouring.
1 teaspoon oil for greasing pan
1. Place the milk powder in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the melted ghee to the milk and add this to the milk powder and rub gently to form a bread crumb type of mixture. Leave aside for 15 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and add the sugar syrup to the milk powder mixture and mix gently. Once all the syrup has been mixed in, test the consistency of the barfi , it will set if when you take a fist ful and squeeze it it retains shape. Add the coarsely chopped almonds and mix well. Divide the mixture into two parts, To one part add pink food colouring and mix well leave the other part white.
6. Grease a baking tray with oil and spread the pink barfi mixture in it, smooth it well with the back of a spoon.
7. Spread the white barfi on top of the pink barfi layer. Smooth it again with the back of a spoon to make a nice even surface.
8. Sprinkle the remaining saffron strands and the almond slivers on top of the white layer and lightly press down to make the almonds stick to the barfi.
9. Leave the barfi to set for 1 hour. Cool and cut into desired shapes.
Store in refrigerator.
You may like:
Chocolate crunch Barfi
A.W.E.D Indian Cuisine event by D.K hosted by Taste of Pearl City
Spice Ur Senses Treat to the Eye event 2