Spicy savoury potato cakes delicious for brunch or as appetizers.
4 medium boiled Green Vale farm fresh potatoes
1 tablespoon bread crumbs
1 tablespoon corn flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon fresh coriander finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
100 ml sunflower oil for shallow frying.
1. Grate the potatoes and add them to a large bowl.
2. Add the breadcrumbs, corn flour, salt, chilli powder, sugar, lemon juice and chopped coriander to the potatoes and mix well.
3. Pinch golf ball sized balls of the potato mixture and roll it into balls.Flatten the balls out to form potato cakes.
4. Place the potato cakes on a tray and repeat for all the mixture.
5. Place the potato cakes in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill.
6. Heat oil in frying pan and when it is hot shallow fry the potato cakes in small batches in the oil until golden brown on both sides.
7. Remove the potato cakes and place them on some kitchen paper to drain.Shallow fry all potato cakes in this way.
8. Serve the potato cakes with dips of choice.
I was recently sent a bag of the GreenVale Farm fresh potatoes to sample; I tried cooking various dishes and found that the GreenVale Potatoes worked well in all of them. Their firm texture with a slightly sweet flavour allows them to be versatile and you can mash them, make wedges with them, roast, fry or boil them .They are suitable for any method of cooking giving a tasty end result.
The potatoes are not only delicious but have many other qualities too such as:
- Great provider of vitamin C
- Naturally fat free
- Great source of fibre
- Absolutely no cholestrol
- Great source of vitamin B
- Bursting with vitamins & minerals
- Very low in salt
- And low in calories
GreenVale Farm Fresh potatoes are sold at Tesco and Booths. For more information and recipe ideas visit the Green Vale farm web site
All the views and opinions expressed in this in this post are my own.
GreenVale potatoes have kindly offered to provide 1 months of GreenVale potatoes* and a Jamie Oliver Roasting pan to one simply.food reader.
*The winner will receive 1 bag of potatoes together with a voucher for £ 13.00 to buy the rest of the potatoes from Tesco.
How To Enter:
- Simply complete the Rafflecopter widget below to verify your entries
- Entries can be via blog comment, Facebook, Twitter etc
- This competition is open to UK residents only .Please read the rules in rafflecopter widget .
- Leaving a blog comment is mandatory and failure to do so will void any other entries.
- Closing date - 30th July 2013 6.00 pm
How Rafflecopter works:
- You will need to complete the mandatory entry first – usually making a blog comment. You can do this by clicking on leave a comment at the bottom of the post and leaving your reply in the comment box.Please note your comment will not show immediately as it needs to be moderated however rest assured it will appear on the site, so carry on with rest of entries.
- Login to Rafflecopter – click to see what the question is. Make a comment answering the question on the blog.
- Go back to Rafflecopter and click the green button to tell me you have made a comment, this will unlock all the other options. All entries are checked to see that the mandatory question is answered, if its not all bonus entries will become void.
- Rafflecopter will tweet, like and follow on your behalf.
- For information on how to find the URL of your tweet click here.
- For bonus entries you can return to this page and enter the daily bonus entries.
- If you are still unsure as to how Rafflecopter works please do check out this short video.