Sweet and tangy mango pickle.
500 g grated raw mango(rajapuri mangoes)
750 g sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chilli powder(adjust to taste)
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1. Place the grated mango and the sugar in a large bowl.
2. Mix together and leave the mango aside for few hours.
3. After few hours all the sugar will have melted.
4. In a heavy bottom pan, add the mango and sugar mixture.Add to it the cinnamon stick and cumin seeds and bring the mixture to boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture until the sugar syrup nearly reaches 1 thread consistency (225 F / 105C on sugar thermometer)It will take approx 10-12 minutes. Keep stirring intermittently.
6. Once the syrup has reaches 1 thread consistency, turn off heat and remove the pickle from the stove.
7. Add the salt and chilli powder and mix well, leave the pickle to cool.
8. Transfer to sterilised jars and serve as required.
NB- I added 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder only to my pickle to keep it mild.To make it more spicy add chilli powder to taste up to 1 teaspoon .
You may like: