Sweet coconut and kidney bean Caribbean rice will bring taste of tropics to your palate
120g / 4 oz Basmati rice
60g / 2 oz precooked kidney beans
240 ml hot water
60 g / 2 oz freshly grated coconut (plus 1 tablespoon for garnishing)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 small red onion finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
1. Wash the rice and soak it for 30 minutes in cold water.
2. Add oil in a large pan with a lid and wait for it to heat up.
3. Add the onion and sauté it for 2-3 minutes until it is translucent
4. Drain the rice and add it to the onions, sauté the rice for a couple of minutes until all the grains are coated in oil.
5. Add the coconut, pepper and salt to the rice together with the kidney beans and chillies.Mix the spices into the rice.
6. Add the hot water and bring the rice to boil. Reduce the heat to lowest setting, cover the rice and cook for 25 minutes.(Do not open the pan lid in this time)
7. After 25 minutes, open the lid all the water will be absorbed and rice should be cooked. Fluff up the rice with a fork.
8. Transfer the rice to a serving platter.Garnish the rice with the remaining coconut and fresh coriander.
You may like:
Spanish saffron and paprika Rice
Javelin Warriors Made with love Mondays
Flavours of Caribbean event by simply.food guest hosted by Tina of The spicy pear