Spicy one pot meal, fluffy rice cooked in aromatic spices in a medley of vegetables.
240 g / 8 oz frozen mixed vegetables( carrots, green beans, peas, sweetcorn)
120g / 4 oz basmati rice
60g / tuvar dal (yellow pigeon peas split)
250 ml boiling water
1 medium potato peeled and diced
1 green chilli finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 small onion finely diced or cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small stick cinnamon
2-3 cardamom pods
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander leaves
1. Mix the rice and dhal and wash it in 3-4 changes of water and then soak the rice and dhal for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes drain the water from the rice in a sieve and keep the rice to one side.
3.Heat oil in a pan,when it is hot add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamon pods and cumin seeds the onions and sauté until onions are translucent.
4. Add the drained rice and the vegetables and potatoes to the onion and toss the mixture so that the rice grains are coated in the oil.
5. Add the tomato purée, chillies, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and sauté for 2 more minutes.
6. Add the boiling water and bring the rice to a slow simmer. Reduce the heat of the rice to lowest setting and cook covered for 25-30 minutes until all the water is absorbed. (Do not open the pan lid during this cooking time.)
7. After 30 minutes open the lid and fluff the rice up with a fork and transfer to a serving plate and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with natural yoghurt or cucumber raita.
In my VEG BOX~ Tomatoes event by citrusspiceuk
Lets cook with seeds event by simply.food
Javelin Warriors Cooking/ with luv