When I went to India, one of the most common sandwich that was available on every street corner was the Bombay Sandwich. I was really intrigued with the ingredients potato and spices in a sandwich!!!! Being a foodie I had to try it and trust me I was not disappointed, it was amazing and immediately it became my firm favorite.
It was a wonderful combination of green coriander chutney layered in between toasted bread, thin slices of boiled potato with cucumber, tomato and slices of red onion. The sandwich was delicious and the ingredients did vary slightly from vendor to vendor. I have created my own version of the Bombay Sandwich using the Chunky proper Pickle from English Provender.
Toasted bread rolls layered with spicy sauteed potatoes and garnished with English Pickle, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes and red onions.
- 3 Medium Potatoes Boiled
- 2 Medium Tomatoes thinly sliced
- 8 Cucumber slices
- 1 Small red onion thinly sliced in rings
- 1/2 of each colour Red and Green pepper thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons English Provender chunky Pickle
- 2 Soft Bread Rolls
1. Slice the potatoes into 5mm thick slices.2. In a bowl add 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic paste, chilli paste, salt, lemon juice and mix together to make the marinade.3. In a shallow dish pour half the marinade and place the potato slices on it. Pour the rest of the marinade onto the potato slices and cover the dish and keep aside for flavours to infuse in potato slices.4. In a frying pan add 1 tablespoon olive oil and wait for it to heat, once hot add the pepper slices and saute for 2-3 minutes. Remove them from pan with slotted spoon and keep aside.5. In the same pan add the marinated potato slices and saute them on both sides until golden brown. Remove from pan and keep aside.6. Cut the bread rolls in half and in the same pan place the bread rolls cut side down and brown them slightly. Remove from pan and place the 2 bottom pieces of toasted bread rolls on a serving plate.To make the sandwich. Spread a layer of English Provender chunky Proper Pickle on to the toasted bread. Add a few slices of spicy potatoes, add cucumber, tomatoes, sauteed peppers and finish off with a dollop of English Provender chunky pickle and the onion rings.Place the top part of the toasted bread roll to complete the sandwich.
Details:Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 Sandwiches
I was sent four jars of the English Provender Proper Pickle to sample ; Proper Pickle onion. Proper Pickle Beetroot, Proper Pickle finely chopped and Proper Pickle Chunky. In this recipe I have used the Proper Pickle Chunky.
“This post is an entry into the #ProperPickle Challenge with The English Provender Co and Foodies100”