Fresh fruits and vegetables make up almost 75 % of my weekly shopping. We consume a lot of fruits and vegetables and to save money I always buy in large packs or in bulk. This sounds like a great idea but there are times this also means that there is waste. Often we can't always use up all the produce we buy and it starts to rot and we end up throwing it away.
I check my fridge daily to avoid unnecessary wastage and any odd vegetables, tomatoes or small amounts of leafy veg that are left over I wash cut and chop into bite size pieces. I either use them for stews and soups on the day or freeze them for later. Any overripe fruits I also chop up and use in smoothies, sorbets or freeze to use them later in smoothies.
I find that fruits and veggies tend to rot in the fridge because they produce a gas called ethylene. If the veg compartment is over filled and over packed or the fruit is left in plastic bags, the condensation formed inside rots the vegetables. This was a major problem in my fridge that is until I discovered the OXO Produce green savers.
Oxo produce green savers are the perfect storage solution as they have elevated baskets, adjustable vents and carbon filters in the lids. These maintain the perfect storage environment for the produce keeping it fresher for longer.
- Activated carbon filter made from coconut absorbs ethylene gas and helps keep produce fresh longer
- Elevated basket promotes airflow to prevent rotting, features handles for easy removal and can be used as a colander.
- Adjustable vent slides open and closed for optimal humidity levels for different types of produce
- Comes in three sizes 1.5L, 4.0 L, and 4.7L.
- There is a Sliding date indicator that shows when it’s time to replace the carbon filter
- Convenient Chart or usage guidance included underneath the vent.
- Available in three stackable modular sizes, the Green Saver small size, 1.5l is ideal for berries and the medium size 4l is ideal for lettuce, green bean, broccoli and grapes. The largest size 4.7l easily accommodates longer produce such as carrots, cucumbers and celery.
- 1 filter included
- BPA free.
I love my Oxo Green savers that OXO sent me to review. They have made my produce storage solution easy. As always whenever I try out a new product I always want my readers to have the opportunity to do the same. OXO has been very kind and they have agreed to giveaway two of their Green saver 15 L to one lucky simplyfood reader.
How To Enter:
- Simply complete the Rafflecopter widget below to verify your entries
- Entries can be via blog comment, Facebook, Twitter etc
- This competition is open to UK residents only over the age of 18 .Please read the rules below.
- Leaving a blog comment is mandatory and failure to do so will void any other entries.
- Closing date - 25th Jan 2016 12.00 am
How Rafflecopter works:
- You will need to complete the mandatory entry first – usually making a blog comment. You can do this by clicking on leave a comment at the bottom of the post and leaving your reply in the comment box.Please note your comment will not show immediately as it needs to be moderated however rest assured it will appear on the site, so carry on with rest of entries.
- Login to Rafflecopter – click to see what the question is. Make a comment answering the question on the blog.
- Go back to Rafflecopter and click the green button to tell me you have made a comment, this will unlock all the other options. All entries are checked to see that the mandatory question is answered, if its not all bonus entries will become void.
- Rafflecopter will tweet, like and follow on your behalf.
- For information on how to find the URL of your tweet click here.
- For bonus entries you can return to this page and enter the daily bonus entries.
- If you are still unsure as to how Rafflecopter works please do check out this short video.