This week is the start of National Vegetarian week which runs from 16-22 May. Its the perfect time to discover some delicious vegetarian dishes and make the change by going meat free for one week . Being vegetarian is not boring in fact there are so many different recipes in a variety of cuisines, made from amazing ingredients that you could actually prepare and enjoy a new vegetarian recipe everyday of the week for a year without having to eat the same dish twice.
If you are up for the challenge, on this blog you will find lots of my favorite recipes in a variety of cuisines. Do check out the recipe index for recipe ideas.To kick start vegetarian week I made this simple Green Lentil salad for my lunch. It's protein packed and really delicious.
Green Lentil Salad
A lovely protein packed salad that is colourful and refreshing.
- 120 g Precooked Green Lentils
- 1 Small Carrot peeled and julienned
- 1/4 of each colour Red, Green, Yellow pepper finely diced
- 4 basil leaves torn
- 4 Spring onions finely chopped white and green parts
- 4 of each colour Red, Yellow and Orange baby tomatoes quartered
- 6 leaves Baby Gem lettuce washed and dried.
- 1 Red chilli finely sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon Honey
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
1. Put the lentils, carrots, tomatoes, spring onions, basil leaves, peppers and red chilli in a bowl and toss together.2. In a jar with a lid add the lemon juice, honey, salt, pepper and olive oil. Put the lid on the jar and shake the jar to mix all the dressing ingredients.3. Add the dressing to the ingredients in the bowl and toss together.4.On a plate arrange the gem lettuce leaves around it. Spoon the lentil salad on top.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: None Total time: Yield: Serves 2