Kheer is a very traditional Indian rice pudding that is very popular in the Gujarati community of India. This dessert is rich and creamy and traditionally flavoured with cardamom, nutmeg , saffron and garnished with almonds. I have given this tradition Indian dessert a little western touch by serving it with a topping of homemade strawberry sauce.The Indian spices with the sweetness from the strawberry sauce makes this dessert simply delectable.
Kheer ~Indian rice pudding with Strawberry Sauce
Traditional Indian rice pudding served with a delicious strawberry sauce.
- 2 cups Full cream Milk
- 1/2 cup Pre Cooked Pudding rice
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- 1 tablespoon Finely sliced almonds
- For garnishing few mint leaves and fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup Strawberry sauce
1. In a heavy bottomed pan add the milk and bring it to boil, reduce heat and simmer the milk for 15 minutes until it's reduced and thickened , Keep stirring the milk to stop it catching at the bottom.2. Slightly mash the rice with the back of a spoon and add it to the milk, together with the sugar.Simmer the kheer on a low temperature for another 5 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved. Keep stirring the mixture constantly.3. Add the cardamom and nutmeg powder and the almonds and stir it in.4. Remove the kheer from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature. The kheer will thicken as it cools.5. Spoon the kheer into tall serving glasses filling them 3/4 full.6. Spoon strawberry sauce on top of the kheer and garnish with mint leaves and fresh strawberries7. Chill before serving.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 mini servings
You may also like other Kheer recipes: