Camargue red rice is a variety of red rice that is cultivated in the wetlands of the Camargue region of southern France. Its outer red bran layer contains 95% of the minerals and dietary fiber of the whole rice which is made up of Iron, Zinc Potassium Sodium and Manganese. The Inner white portion contains carbohydrate and proteins. The rice is rich in fibre and has a lovely nutty taste. It can be used in salads and rice dishes. The rice needs plenty of washing before cooking, and it also takes longer to cook compared to white rice.
Camargue rice has antioxidants that offer many health benefits to the body such as:
- Lowering cholesterol
- Preventing heart disease,
- Lowering s blood glucose
- Helping to reducing asthma
- Rich in fibre helping in digestion.
- Good for bone health,
- Lowering the risk of obesity as it reduces hunger pangs
- High in vitamin B6 which is needed for organ function
Moong beans can be eaten raw, cooked, milled and ground into flour and also sprouted in salads.
To sprout moong beans wash them in plenty of cold water and then drain them in a colander. Get a large muslin or cheesecloth and wring it in some clean water. Place the moong beans on the damp cloth and gather the edges up to form a parcel. Place the muslin parcel in the colander and place the colander in a dark cool place for 24 hours. After 24 hours you will find that they have sprouted. If you want longer sprouts you can sprinkle a few drops of water on the cloth and leave the beans for another 12 hours.You can freeze the sprouted moong beans to use at any time. This technique can be used to sprout any bean or lentil.
Red Camargue Wild Rice and Sprouted Moong Bean Salad
Nutty aromatic Red Camargue wild rice with healthy sprouted moong beans.
- 1/2 cup Red Camargue wild rice
- 1 cup Sprouted moong Beans (instructions above on how to sprout)
- 4 Spring Onion finely sliced whites and green parts.
- 1/2 Yellow Pepper finely diced
- 1 Red Chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1. Wash the rice in plenty of water and them soak it in clean water for about an hour.2. Drain the soaked water from the rice and transfer the rice to a large saucepan.Add 1 pint of water and bring the rice to boil, once its boiling bring it to a slow simmer and cook uncovered for 35 minutes or until rice is cooked.3. Drain the rice in a colander and once it is drained spread it out on a plate to cool.4. Place the sprouted moong beans in a microwave safe bowl add, 1 tablespoon of water and cover and cook on high for 4 minutes.5. Remove the cooked sprouted moong beans from the microwave and transfer them to a plate to cool down.6.In a sauce pan add the oil when its hot add the chopped spring onions, diced peppers, red chilli and saute the mixtute for 2-3 minutes. Add the salt, turmeric, chilli powder and lemon juice and mix into the mixture. Saute the mixture for 1 -2 more minutes and then transfer the mixture to a large bowl.7. To the onion and pepper mixture add the moong beans and the cooked rice and toss well. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl or dish. Salad can be eaten warm or cold.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 4