The Diwali celebrations span over 4 days and each day we are enjoying delicious Indian desserts and sweets. One of my families favourite dessert is Kheer, this is an Indian rice pudding that is flavoured with cardamom, saffron, almonds and pistachios. Although the rice pudding ingredients are only a few, to make authentic Kheer is a laborious task where milk and rice are cooked on a low heat and stirred regularly to stop the milk from scorching. Its one of those dishes that to make it creamy it needs to be slow cooked. It can take anything up to 2 hours to get the milk to reduce and the pudding to get rich and creamy. As much as I love rice pudding I found this task of watching over the pan really time consuming that is until my new kitchen friend arrived this Diwali in the form of a Redmond slow cooker.
I love the compact design of my Redmond multi cooker RMC-M451OE and its sleek controls. It has 13 automatic programmes and 27 manual controls making it easy to create a large selection of delicious recipes with minimum effort.
Making rice pudding in the slow cooker was simple and I did not have to watch it like a hawk like I needed to on the stove top. I put all the ingredients into the pot and set the cooker on multi cook for one and half hours. I did give the rice pudding an occasional stir 2-3 times just to make sure all was well.
The result was the creamiest tastiest rice pudding we have ever eaten made with very little effort.
To see how I created my delicious rice pudding you can read the recipe below. The recipe can also be make on the stove top, but care must be taken to stir the milk and rice frequently so that it does not scorch.
Kheer Indian Rice Pudding
Creamy rich Rice pudding with aromatic Indian flavours garnished with saffron, almonds and pistachios.
- 100 g Short grain rice
- 1150 ml Full cream Milk
- 200 g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Few strands Saffron
- 10 Almonds cut into slivers
- 10 Pistachios cut into slivers
1. Wash the rice and drain it . Next add it to the slow cooker bowl with the milk and condensed and cook the rice pudding on multi setting for 1.5 hours.2. Stir the rice intermittently 2-3 times.3. After the cooking time is complete, the milk should thickened and rice should be fully cooked resulting in a rich creamy rice pudding.4. Stir in the cardamon powder and spoon the rice pudding into serving bowls, garnish with slivers of almonds and pistachio nuts and saffron strands. Kheer -Rice pudding can be served warm or cold.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 8
I was sent the Redmond Multi Cooker to try out , all the views and opinions expressed in this post are my own.
On this second day of Diwali I would like to wish all my simplyfood readers a very Happy Diwali or Happy holidays for those who don't celebrate this festival. Thank you to all your regular visits and comments that truly inspire me to create recipes and share them here.