1 cup basmati rice
¼ cup tinned or frozen sweetcorn (precooked)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon jeera
1 tablespoon oil
1/3 teaspoon white pepper powder
1-2 red chillies chopped or 1 tablespoon red capsicum diced
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
5-6 curry leaves
1 small tomato and lemon slices for garnishing
1. Wash the rice and soak for 1 hour
2. In a shallow pan heat the oil when hot add the curry leaves , garlic paste and the the jeera.
3. Drain the rice and add it to the hot oil.
4. Gently stir so that all rice grains are covered in oil(this stops rice grains from sticking together)
5. Add the salt, pepper powder,red chillies, sweetcorn and grated coconut.
6. Add 2 cups water.
7. Bring the rice to boil.
8. Cover the pan and turn the heat to lowest setting.
9. Cook for 25 mins (DO NOT OPEN PAN LID IN THIS TIME)
10. After 25 minutes open the pan lid and pour over the lemon juice.
11.Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer to serving dish.
Garnish with tomato and lemon slices.