Chana ( split chickea)dhal-A warm and hearty dhal, thick and chunky cooked in an array of aromatic spices. An ideal accompaniment to crispy finger parthas and rice.
2 cups chana dhal (split chickpeas)
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
4 green chillies finely chopped
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tomatoes peeled chopped and pureed
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
2 red dried chillies
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon fresh coriander for garnish
1.Wash and soak the chana dhal in water over night.
2. Drain the dhal and cook with 2 pints water in a large vessel on stove top.(approx 25 mins) Dhal should be cooked but still holding shape not mushy
3. In a pan heat the oil when hot add the mustard seeds and red chillies.
4. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds taking care not to burn it.
5.Add the pureed tomatoes, ginger and chopped chillies.
6.Add the salt, turmeric and chilli powder and cook till spices and tomatoes blended and tomatoes start to leave oil.
7. Add the cooked dhal to the spice mixture and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
8. With the back of a ladle gently press the dhal to break some of it up to give thickness to dhal. Add a little more water if needed.
9.Adjust seasoning if required.Transfer to serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve with Crunchy finger parathas and rice.
Serving suggestion: Break up the Crunchy parathas on a plate and pour over hot piping dhal. Eat immediately with onion and tomato salad.
You may like:
Gujarati style tuver dhal.
Mirch Masala My Legume Love Affair (MLLA) Edition 21 -event-brainchild of Susan of the well seasoned cook .
EASY2COOK RECIPES-FAMILY'S FAVOURITE FOOD event