This is my assignment with the Secret Recipe Club.The aim of the club is that you are allocated a blog from which you have to select a recipe and try it and blog about it.
My assigned blog was The freshman cook. This blog had some lovely cookie decorating ideas which really tempted me to try them, but then I stumbled on the coloured popcorn and instantly fell in love with it as my previous attempts at making sweet popcorn had resulted in a burnt saucepan from the sugar caramelizing too quickly .I popped my own pop corn rather than use ready shop bought and then took care care to follow the exact recipe with the sugar syrup due to my previous mishap. Overall the popcorn turned out perfect although the the red was rather soggy, I think I added too much sugar syrup, I corrected the amount for the yellow and blue and it was perfect.The original recipe can be found here.
120 g / 4 oz pop corn kernals
2 tablespoons sunflower oil.
180 grams / 6oz Sugar
60 ml water
Red, yellow and blue food colouring
1.In a large pan with a lid add the oil, when it is hot add the popcorn kernels. Stir them around the hot oil and immediately cover the pan with the lid.
2. Within 30 seconds to 1 minute you will hear the corn starting to pop, turn the heat down to lowest setting and wait for 2-3 minutes until popping noise stops.( Do not open pan lid during this time or all the corn will pop out of the pan.
3. Once all the corn has popped transfer it to three separate bowls.
4. Heat the water and sugar until sugar has totally melted and a syrup has formed.
5. Divide the syrup into three small bowls. To each bowl add a few drops of food colouring to colour the syrup.
6. Quickly add the coloured syrup to each bowl of popcorn and gently toss the pop corn to coat with the coloured syrup.
7. Line a tray with parchment paper and spread the coloured corn onto it to dry out.
8.Once syrup has set separate any corn that is stuck together and serve immediately.