July brings the start of Wimbledon and watching tennis cannot be done without a glass of Pimms and Strawberries.
I love strawberries with cream, in desserts, in pancakes and particularly in ice cream. This really easy homemade strawberry and dark chocolate ice cream cake is lipsmacking good and it will make your enjoyment of watching tennis even more exciting. Don't be fooled this ice cream cake has no cake in it, its just layers of delicious creamy ice cream with strawberry compote and a layer of dark chocolate
Strawberry and Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
Delectable ice cream made with luscious summer strawberries and indulgent dark chocolate.
- 480g Strawberries
- 300ml Double cream
- 300ml Custard (any shop bought will do)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 12 Strawberries for Garnish
- 100g Dark Chocolate
1. Remove the stalk from the strawberries using the strawberry huller and chop the strawberries into small pieces2. Put the strawberries in a heavy bottomed pan and add the sugar. 3. Cook the strawberries on a medium heat until all the sugar has melted and the strawberries are softened but still holding shape.4. Remove strawberry compote from the heat and leave aside to cool.5.In a stand mixer add the double cream and icing sugar and vanilla essence and whip the cream until stiff peaks form.6.Gently fold the custard into the cream mixture. Once the custard is all folded in, stir in half the strawberry compote, reserve the remaining compote for the topping.7.Line a loose bottom 9 inch springform cake tin with cling film and pour the ice cream mixture into it.8. Freeze the ice cream for 2 hours after which take the tin out of the freezer and pour on top of the ice cream the remaining strawberry compote.9.Return the ice cream to the freezer for another hour.10. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a microwave proof bowl, Heat the chocolate at 30 second intervals until its all melted, Keep stirring in between.10. Once chocolate is all melted take it out of the microwave and leave it to cool slightly. 11. Fill a piping bag with the melted chocolate. Take the cake out of the freezer and pipe chocolate lines all over the top of it.12 Return icecream cake back to freezer for another 3 hours or over night.13. To serve remove the ice cream cake from the cake tin by opening the spring form tin and gently removing the cling film.14. Place the cake on a serving dish and leave out for 3-4 minutes. Cut into slices and serve garnished with remaining strawberries.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 slices
Making this ice cream cake is simple, I think the only difficult thing is is hulling the strawberries which I find time consuming. However OXO have come to my rescue by sending some products that helped me by making my task easy in the kitchen.
This cute strawberry huller by OXO is simple to use and it makes the job fast and speedy. You simply push the blades into the top of the strawberry, with a twist and pull action it removes the green part and you can discard it easily using the release button.This gadget is easy to use and comes apart for cleaning.
Of course you could make this ice cream in a tub and scoop it into ice cream cones using the OXO Trigger ice cream scoop .
The scoop makes round balls of ice cream that can be easily transferred to a cone using a simple press leaver avoiding any mess. The stainless steel ice cream scoop is easy to wash afterwards too.
I was sent the strawberry huller and Ice cream scoop which were featured in this post to try by OXO
If you want to enter a giveaway to win a strawberry huller and ice cream scoop do click on the link below to take you to the competition entry page.