My love affair with Homesense continues and I am not ashamed to admit it either. I adore that shop and the more I visit it the more my love for it is growing. If this was a real life romance I would be married to this shop by now. I am truly head over heels and infatuated with everything that it sells.
On my recent visit I was looking for some Christmas gifts for family and friends, when I accidently stumbled upon this set of beautiful Glazed terracotta pot and matching serving bowls. It did not take much self persuasion to add them to my shopping basket!!! I had read somewhere recently that one should be kind to one self so taking heed of that advise, I convinced my self that I too need to purchase a Christmas present for me!!!
Convincing over, the pots carefully wrapped and in my shopping basket I was ready to go home. I could not wait to feature them here and so this Tortilla Soup recipe came to mind. I adapted the non veg version and converted it to make it vegetarian.
The soup is spicy, hearty and warming and a complete meal in its self. Furthermore it can be made with any vegetables in season and using store cupboard ingredients such as tinned beans and passata which I keep plenty of in my pantry.
My family love the soup garnished with aromatic coriander, ripe avocado slices, dollops of sour cream or creme fraiche and for the crunch toasted tortilla sticks seasoned with paprika.
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Spicy vegetable and bean soup with tortilla, avocado and sour cream.
- 1 Medium Carrot 1 cm diced
- 200 g Butternut squash 1 cm diced
- 1 Medium Leek chopped in 5 mm round circles
- 1 Medium Red Onion 1 cm diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Red chilli de seeded and finely chopped
- 250 g Sieved tomatoes (passata)
- 250 g Precooked mixed beans
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 400 ml Water
- 2 Tortilla wraps
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive oil
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of Paprika
- 1 Ripe Avocado sliced
- 4 tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander finely chopped
1. Brush the tortillas with the olive oil and cut them in half. Then cut them into 1 inch strips.Place in the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C to crisp up. 2. Remove the tortillas from the oven and sprinkle with salt and paprika and keep a side.3. Heat oil in a pan and when it is hot add the 1 tablespoon olive oil and add the garlic and onions and leeks and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots and butternut squash and 400 ml water and cook the vegetables for 8 minutes.4. Add the passata, beans, salt, pepper, paprika, chillies and cumin and simmer the soup for another 10 minutes.5. Once all the vegetables have cooked check the seasoning and adjust as required.6. Spoon the soup into large serving bowls, garnish with chopped coriander, avocado slices, and dollops of sour cream. Top the soup with a stack of the toasted tortillas.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 4
**This post is in collaboration with Homesense.