Thursday, 1 January 2009
Vegetable pastry pinwheels
Vegetable pastry pinwheels-A savory snack dish made with vegetables such as peas,carrots,potatoes and sweetcorn encased in puff pastry and baked in the oven. A delicious snack served with chutney.
1 packet ready to roll puff pastry
6 oz grated carrots
6 oz coarsely ground fresh or frozen peas
1 medium potato finely diced
3 oz sweetcorn kernals
6 green chillies finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground clove powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon flour for rolling out the pastry.
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. Heat the oil in a pan when hot add the mustard seeds.
2. Add the carrots, peas, sweetcorn and potatoes.
3. Add the spices, lemon juice and sugar and cook the vegetabls till tender.
4. Cool the masala. Add the coriander and stir through.
5. Roll out the pastry into a 12 inch square, and about 5mm thick (use the dry flour for dusting so pastry does not stick.)
6. Spread the cooled masala all over the pastry leaving about 1 cm clear at top edge.
7.From the bottom edge gently start to roll the pastry,making sure it is rolled tightly.
8. Seal the edge with some water and secure by pressing the edge down.
9. Cut the pastry roll in to 5mm thick slices and place on greased baking tray.
A food fanatic with a passion for creating , cooking and sharing mouth watering recipes to tickle and tantalise your taste buds. A "homecook" without culinary school training striving to make my dishes feel complete without being complicated.