Sunday, 18 April 2010
Pink Grapefruit and pickled gherkin salad.
Pink grapefruit and pickled gherkin salad- A Fruity citrus salad with a wonderful tangy flavour from the pickled gherkins. Healthy and colourful and simply delicious to eat on own or as an accompaniment.
4 leaves of iceberg lettuce shredded
3 in piece cucumber cut into strips.
1 small red onion cut into thin slices
1 carrot peeled and shredded
1 pink grape fruit peeled and cut into segments. (Click here to see how to do this)
12 baby pickled gherkins
2 firm red tomatoes cut into slices.
½ yellow pepper cut into strips.
2 tablespoons brine from pickled gherkins
2 tablespoons pink grapefruit juice (Reserved from grapefruit when segmenting it.)
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon honey( optional I didn't use it)
1. In a serving dish, put the lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, red onions and peppers. Toss together.
2. Slice the gherkins if they are big if they are mini gherkins leave them whole.
3. Top the salad mixture with gherkins and pink grapefruit segments. Chill.
4. In a jar with a lid add all the dressing ingredients and shake the jar to mix together.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.
NB-You can include any of these ingredients in this salad: sweetcorn, mushrooms, springonions, celery or any other salad vegetable of your choice.
You may like:
Garden salad with Italian herb dressing.
Cook curry Nook- Serve me your salad event
A food fanatic with a passion for creating , cooking and sharing mouth watering recipes to tickle and tantalise your taste buds. A "homecook" without culinary school training striving to make my dishes feel complete without being complicated.