Sweet rice with nuts and coconut can be eaten as dessert or as part of a main meal
6 oz Idli rice
3 oz jaggery
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
3 oz mixed chopped nuts (Almonds, pistachio and cashew)
1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon flaked almonds (coloured red.)
1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
Few strands saffron
1. Wash and soak the rice for 1 hour.
2. Drain the rice and add to a large microwaveable bowl with lid. Add 18 floz water and cover and cook the rice on high for 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes take the rice out of the microwave and add the jaggery. Mix the rice, the heat from the hot rice will melt the jaggery.
4. Return the rice back to the microwave for 10 more minutes.
5. Take the rice out of the microwave. It should be well cooked and slightly glutinous.
6. Leave the rice to cool for few minutes.
7. Add the saffron and cardamom and the ghee and mix thoroughly.
8. Add the nuts and the desiccated coconut and mix well.
9. Transfer the rice to a serving dish and garnish with the coloured flaked almonds.
Serve slightly warm with a swirl of cream on the top.
Spread the almonds out on kitchen paper in a single layer and allow to dry. Use these for garnish as and when required.
You may like Kheer
"only festive food" event , event by Pari of Foodelicious hosted by Pretti of Khaugari
Complete my thali -rice event, event by Jagruti of joy of cooking hosted by Priya of priyas Easy N Tasty