Homemade sweet lemon pickle, spicy and hot ,sweet and tangy , a taste that will leave you licking your fingers.
240 grams/ 8 oz preserved lemons
180 grams/ 6 oz jaggery
120 grams/ 4oz achar masala
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 red dried chillies
1.Cut the preserved lemons into small bite size pieces( appox 1 inch )
2. Place the preserved lemons on a sheet of kitchen paper and place on a tray, leave to dry in a warm place or in sunlight for few hours.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan when hot add the red chillies and jaggery.
4.Cook the jaggery on a low heat untill it melts , Once the jaggery is soft add the achar masala and mix well.
5. Take off the heat and allow to cool to room temparature.
6. Stir in the semi dried preserved lemons, cover the pan and leave it in a cool dry place for 7 days.
7. Each day stir the lemon pickle once in the morning and once at night.
8. After a couple of days you will find that the sweet masala will infuse into the lemons and coat them really well.
9. After 7 days transfer the pickle into sterelised jars and keep in a cool dry place or in the fridge.
10. Pickle is ready to eat and will keep up to 4-6 weeks.
Seve pickle with parthas and puris.
Achar Masala (Pickle masala)