Saturday, 29 January 2011
White chocolate sponge cake
Moist, soft and delectable sponge cake that is light and airy and simply divine to eat.
240 grams / 8 oz self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
240 grams / 8 oz sugar
240 grams / 8 oz butter
5 small eggs (or equivalent egg replacer)
2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
240 grams / 8 oz White chocolate
60 grams / 2 oz Milk chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 200 centigrade/ 400 Fahrenheit
2. Prepare a loose bottom 8 inch cake tin by lining it with parchment paper and greasing it.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar, add the eggs and yoghurt and mix together.Add the vanilla essence.
4. Sieve the flour and the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
5. Fold in the flour into the wet ingredients .(Do not over mix)
6. Tranfer the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes .
7. Check if the cake is baked by insering a skewer in the centre of the cake, if it comes out dry cake is ready.
8. Remove cake from oven and cool.
9. In a double boiler melt the white chocolate.
10.In a separate bowl melt the milk chocolate.
11. Cover the cooled cake with the white chocolate.
12. Using a piping bag fill it with the milk chocolate.
13. Pipe vertical lines 1 inch apart on top of the white chocolate topped cake.
14. To make the swirl pattern. take a cocktail stick and draw lines on the cake in the opposite direction to the milk chocolate piped lines. The dragging of the cocktail stick will form the swirl pattern.
15. Allow chocolate to set before serving.
Labels: Cakes/Cake Pops
A food fanatic with a passion for creating , cooking and sharing mouth watering recipes to tickle and tantalise your taste buds. A "homecook" without culinary school training striving to make my dishes feel complete without being complicated.