Friday, 30 March 2012
Apple Sharlotka (Russian apple cake)
Tangy caremelised apples baked with a vanilla spongy cake base .
1 granny smith apple
1 teaspoon lemon juice.
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 oz / 120 grams self raising flour
4 oz / 120 grams white sugar
2 oz / 60 grams butter
2 floz / 60 ml sunflower oil
2 eggs ( or 2 tablespoons apple sauce instead for eggless version)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon icing sugar for dusting.
1. Peel the apple and remove the central core using an apple corer.
2. Cut the apple into 5mm thick rings and place in a bowl, Immediately add the lemon juice and mix to prevent apples browning.
3. Grease a loose bottom cake tin and arrange neatly the apple rings in the base.
4. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the apples.
5. In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar and the oil.
6. Add the vanilla, the eggs , followed by the flour and make a smooth batter.
7. Pour the batter over the apples and smooth flat with a spoon.
8. Bake the cake in a preheated 175 degrees C / 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Check to see if cake is done by inserting atooth pick in the centre , if it comes out clean cake is ready.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
10. With the help of a knife run it around the cake tin. Place a plate over the cake tin and immediately invert the cake over it. Gently remove the loose base. The cake should be served with the apples on the top.
11.Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Submitting to :
Flavours of Russia, event by simply.food guest hosted by Selena of Fruit carving Arrangements and food garnish
A food fanatic with a passion for creating , cooking and sharing mouth watering recipes to tickle and tantalise your taste buds. A "homecook" without culinary school training striving to make my dishes feel complete without being complicated.