225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
225g (8 oz) butter, at room temperature
225g (8 oz) caster sugar plus 2 teaspoons
4 eggs or (4 tablespoons egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons water )
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon natural red food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / gas mark 4.
2. Mix the egg replacer with 4 tablespoons water whisk and keep aside.
3.Mix together the butter and 225 g sugar until light and fluffy.
4. In a separate bowl sieve together the flour and baking powder
5. Add spoonful of flour and egg replacer alternately into the butter and sugar and fold it in until all the flour is mixed in.
6. Chop the strawberries into small pieces and add 3/4 of them to the batter and fold them in
7. The remaining 1/4 of the strawberries place in a food blender with 2 teaspoons sugar and whizz blend them to form a smooth puree.
8. Sieve the puree to remove pips. Add 1 teaspoon red food colour to this puree and mix it in. Pour the puree into a plastic piping bag and keep aside.
9. Grease and line a rectangular cake tin .
10. Pour the cake batter in the tin and tap the tin gently to spread the batter out evenly.
11. Cut a tiny hole in the piping bag and pipe red swirls all over the top of the cake batter.
12. Using a cocktail stick swirl the red strawberry puree into the batter.
13. Place the cake in the oven to bake for 35-40 mins at 180 degrees c /350 degrees F . Check the cake is done by inserting a skewer in the cake if it comes out clean cake is baked.
14 Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack before serving.
You may like:
Strawberry Kisses mini muffins
Flavours of the world ~Grand Finale