Karela- Bitter gourd curry- This vegetable is under rated due to its bitter properties, however if cooked in the correct manner it can make a very tasty and delicious side dish. This dish is cooked with red onions, an array of spices and sweetened with jaggery to balance the bitterness. It is perfect served with hot rotis or parathas.
3 Karela- bitter gourd
1 medium red onion finely diced
2 medium tomatoes chopped and pureed.
I tablespoon fried gram coarsely powdered
1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon salt for rubbing on the karela
1 table spoon olive oil or sun flower oil.
1 tablespoon grated jaggery
1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander for garnish.
1. Peel and slice the karela into 1 inch strips.
2. Sprinkle the karela with 1/2 teaspoon salt and rub it in, leave the karela to one side for 1/2 hour.(This will draw out the bitter juices.)
3. After half an hour squeeze the salted karela and squeeze out all the bitter juices, wipe off any access salt with a clean kitchen towel.
4. Place the karela slices in a microwaveable bowl and add 2 tablespoons of water, cover and cook on high for 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Once karela is cooked , drain and discard the cooking water and keep aside.
6. In a pan add the oil, when hot add the mustard seeds, once they splutter add the garlic paste and saute.
7. Add the onions and fry till translucent, add the pureed tomatoes and the spices; salt,chilli powder, cumin coriander and turmeric.Cook tomatoes till spices infuse and tomatoes start to leave oil.
8. Add the fried gram flour and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
9. Add the grated jaggery and cook for 2-3 minutes till it melts down and blends in to form a thick sauce with the spice mixture.
10. Add the pre cooked karela and cook for 2-3 minutes till the sauce coats the karela, do not over stir as karela pieces will break.
11. Transfer to serving dish and garnish with fresh chopped coriander.
NB -Fried gram is chana dhal that is available in asian supermarkets which is pre fried.
You may like:
Gujarati karela sabji