Mohanthal-A gujarati sweet dish made from chickpea flour roasted in ghee( clarified butter) and sweetened with sugar syrup. Beautifully Garnished with chopped almonds and flavoured with saffron and cardamom this delectable sweet is rich in taste and delicious.
1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
1 tablespoon ghee
1 tablespoon milk.
4 tablespoons ghee ( for roasting)
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For Sugar syrup:
¾ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
½ teaspoon saffron
1.5 teaspoons kus kus (poppy seeds).
1. Warm the milk and one tablespoon ghee and rub into the besan to form a bread crumb type mixture.(This is known as giving the flour drabo) Leave for 30 minutes.
2. Using a sieve with large holes sieve the besan mixture to form grainy texture similar to coarse semolina. Keep aside.
3. In a heavy bottom pan add the sugar and water and bring to boil add the saffron. When sugar syrup reaches one thread consistency take off heat and keep aside.
4. In a another pan add the 4 tablespoons ghee and roast the prepared besan till a sweet aroma fills room and besan is golden brown in colour.
5. Remove the flour from the heat and slowly add the warm sugar syrup and keep stirring the mixture till it starts to thicken.
6. Once all the syrup is added return the mixture to heat and stir for 2-3 more minutes. Add the cardamom and nutmeg
7. Oil a thali / dish and pour the mixture into the dish. Smooth over with the back of a spoon and garnish with almond slivers, sprinkle with saffron and kus kus. Smooth over with the back of a spoon again and leave to set for few hours.
8.Cut Mohanthal into desired shapes. Store in an air tight container.Eat within one week.
You may like:
Churma na ladwa
Flavours of Rajasthan event by simply.food guested by Sonu of Palatecorner