Red Chori-Adzuki beans-Low in cholesterol , high in protein this bean has a rich nutty flavour.When cooked with aromatic spices Adzuki beans makes a delicious rich and creamy curry that is perfect to serve with rice or rotis.
1 cup dry adzuki beans
2 pints water
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
2 medium tomatoes blended to a puree
1 teaspoon tomato puree
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Soak the adzuki beans over night in two pints water.
2. Next day pressure cook the beans till they are tender.
3. In a pan heat the oil, when hot add the mustard seeds, once they begin to splutter add the garlic paste and saute for few minutes.
4. Add the blended tomatoes, tomato puree, salt,coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric and chilli powder.
5. Cook the gravy till tomatoes and spices in fuse and tomatoes start to leave the oil.
6. Add the pressured cooked beans and all the liquid that they were cooked in to the tomato gravy.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes.The curry should have a thick gravy.Add a little more water if needed.
8. Garnish with green chillies and lemon slices.
Serve the curry topped with a squeeze of lemon juice with hot rotis.
A food fanatic with a passion for creating , cooking and sharing mouth watering recipes to tickle and tantalise your taste buds. A "homecook" without culinary school training striving to make my dishes feel complete without being complicated.