Saffron Peda- An Indian sweet made from milk powder, sugar and flavoured with saffron and cardamom. It can be made in a varity of flavourings such as almond, pistachio, cashewnuts or simply plain.
(Recipe courtesy of Tarla Dalal's book)- I have made couple of small changes to suit my taste.
2 cups milk powder
1 tablespoon ghee ( clarified butter)
397 grams sweetened condensed milk (1 tin)
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
Pinch of saffron
1 tablespoon almond slivers for garnish
1. In a microwaveable bowl add the milk powder, cardamom ,saffron, ghee and condensed milk.
2. Mix throughly and heat on high for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from microwave and stir the mixture.
4. Return the mixture to microwave and cook for another two minutes , remove from microwave and stir again.
5. Return to microwave and cook for a further minute or until the mixture starts to change colour slightly.Peda mixture is ready when it starts to come together into a ball and leaves the side of pot.(Take care not to overcook or burn the mixture or else it will go chewy and hard)
6. Remove from microwave and allow to cool slightly.When mixture can be handled make small walnut sized balls and flatten them to a disc shape.(You can form a pattem on them using little peda moulds that are readily available in asian cook ware stores, alternatively you can make indentations using cocktail stick or fork to form a pattern.)
NB- To form perfect pedas, mixture needs to be handled quickly and whilst still warm because as it cools it will start to form cracks in the pedas.Chopped nuts can be added to mixture if desired before forming pedas.
You may like: