A very fragrant and spicy Tunisian rice dish with potatoes and chickpeas.
120 g / 4 oz basmati rice
250 ml hot water
60 g / 2 oz precooked white chickpeas
1 medium potato cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon harissa paste
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried mint
1 medium tomato de seeded and finely diced.
1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
1. Wash the rice and soak it in cold water for half an hour.After half an hour drain the water from the rice.
2. In a large frying pan with a lid add the oil and wait for it to heat, add the cinnamon stick and drained rice and sauté gently taking care not to break the rice grains. Once all the rice grains are coated in the oil add the chickpeas, potatoes, chilli powder,salt, cumin, harissa paste and tomato puree.
3. Add the hot water and bring the rice to boil. Once it begins to boil turn the heat to the lowest setting, cover and cook the rice for 25 minutes.(Do not open the lid in this time)
4. After 25 minutes, fluff up the rice with a fork to separate the grains, add the chopped tomatoes and dried mint and gently stir them into the rice .
5. Transfer the rice to a serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander.
You may like :
Tunisian Chickpea salad
Flavours of Tunisia event by simply.food