Spicy, sweet and sour mango pickle that is perfect to serve with chappatis.
16 small green mangoes
400 g sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika( you can omit this and add extra 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder instead if you like spicy pickle)
1 red dried chilli
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1. Peel the mangoes and dice them very finely.( The weight of the raw diced mangoes should be about 480g)
2. Add the salt, turmeric powder and sugar to the diced mango and keep aside for 30 minutes. Stir the mixture and you will find that the sugar has all melted.
3. Place the mixture in a microwave safe bowl and cook with the lid on on high for 5 minutes,remove from microwave stir and cook for another 5 minutes.Return to the microwave and cook for 3 more minutes.
4.Remove the katki keri from the microwave and test the sugar syrup, it should be nearing 1 thread or 101 degrees C or 205 degrees F on sugar thermometer.Do not worry if syrup is not quite 1 thread and seems runny as when it cools it will thicken.( approx cooking time 15-20 minutes depending on microwave and quantity)
5. Remove the pickle from the microwave and leave to reach room temperature
6. In another pan add the oil when it is hot add the mustard seeds and red dried chilli. Add the tempering to the mango mixture and also add the chilli powder and paprika and mix well into the pickle.
7. Once cool transfer to sterilised jars and store in the fridge.
Serve with chappatis or parathas
NB-This pickle is usually made using the large Rajapuri mangoes, however since I could not get any I have used small mangoes which worked equally well.
You may like:
Achar masala ( pickle masala)
Taste of Tropics ~Mango Event by Chef Mireille’s guest hosted by simply.food