Savoury and sweet rice with aromatic cinnamon flavour.
120 grams / 4 oz basmati rice
250 ml hot water
30 grams / 1 oz raisins
1 tablespoon brown sugar(optional)
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Wash the rice and soak it in cold water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain the rice and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a large lidded frying pan.
4. When it is hot add the cinnamon stick, and sauté for 30 seconds.
5.Add the drained rice, raisins, turmeric and salt and sauté the rice for 2-3 minutes until rice grains are coated in oil.
5. Add 250 ml hot water and bring the rice to boil, once rice is boiling turn the heat to lowest setting and cover the pan.Cook covered for 20 minutes.(Do not open the pan lid during this time)
6. After 20 minutes open the pan and fluff the rice with a fork.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with more raisins.
NB- If using brown sugar add it at step 5
You may like:
Flavours of South Africa, event by simply.food guest hosted by PJ of seduce your tastebuds