These Devon scones are a British teatime treat that are simple and easy to make and the recipe is very versatile. You can make many different varieties by adding ingredients such as chocolate chip, dried fruits, sultanas or fruits.They are a firm favorite for a British afternoon tea.
225 g / 8 oz self raising flour
60 g / 2 oz sultanas
Pinch of salt
60 g / 2 oz butter
30 g / 1 oz caster sugar
150 ml / 5 fl oz milk
1 egg for glazing (optional)
For serving- Jam and clotted cream.
1. Heat the oven to 220 º C/425 º F/ Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter to form a bread crumb texture. Add the chocolate sultanas.
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk a little at a time to make to get soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly.
5. Roll out the dough to round circle approx 2 cm thick. Use a 5 cm cutter to cut out scones place them on a baking sheet.
6. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and cut out more scones to until you use up all the dough.
7. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
8. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.